March 23, 2011: The OAM wiki is currently in read-only mode in order to prevent further spam. Wiki and mailing list will soon be migrated to another host and upgraded with features which will help to prevent spam.
The OAM Mission
Open Aerial Map is a non-profit, open access, meeting place for the aerial imaging community. It exists to provide a freely available image map of the world created solely by community contribution, and to facilitate the free exchange of imagery, technology, and ideas. In order to provide an unrestricted, free, an unbiased view of the world, OpenAerialMap encourages the free exchange of imagery, without restriction on its use.
OAM-Wiki is intended to be the knowledge base for the OpenAerialMap community. Contribute your knowledge about imagery, platforms, sensors, image processing, legislation, or anything else the aerial mapping community needs to know. Contribute information about anything relevant to the Imaging or OpenAerialMap Community.
Christopher Schmidt had a working prototype up and running at http://openaerialmap.org/ from Nov 2007, however from Dec 2008 onwards this has been offline and no longer serving imagery tiles. The reasons for this are detailed in an his old mailing list post Dec 2008
- Interested Parties in attending a meet-up
- A Brief Project History from various angles
- Use Cases. What kinds of things do you we imagine OAM doing?
- End-user Scenarios What are typical use cases from the point of view of the end-user?
- Goals, Looking forward to Long-term (5+ years), Mid-term (1-2 years) and Short-term Goals. All ideas welcome, in brainstorm mode.
- Data Sources Current and potential sources. Who is offering what, where?
- Standards What formats and protocols exist, and what's missing.
- Architecture What does a federated tile infrastructure look like?
- Building Blocks and Tools
- Data Licensing Ways to deal with the complexity of many licenses.
- Resources Potential hardware/hosting
- Management Management of core resources, like domain and hosting. OAM Foundation?
- Monterey Mission Statement: what needs to be accomplished to declare it a success?
An initial OAM Steering Committee was elected in December 09.