OAM Reboot BoF at Where 2010
There was be a OAM Reboot BoF at Where 2010 (session listing) Tuesday, 30th March 2010
Draft. Please amend gaps and inaccuracies
- John Graham
- John Crowley
- Kate Chapman
- Schuyler Erle
- Dane Springmeyer
- Mikel Maron
- Josh Livni
- Jeffrey Warren
- Josh Livni
- Paul Ramsey
- Jeffrey Johnson
- Derek Morr
please add yourself here if not listed
Telascience has a massive amount of hardware coming in two weeks. This hardware can be used for a first OAM node.
Telascience infrastructure: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B74txjKHxhNfMTg1YjYzMTAtMGVjZS00NjRkLWFlMjUtZmEyNmZiMjQwYTA2&hl=en
Warning: Bus number of OAM and on hardware and network admin side of Telascience, and software side. Adequate access and communication to all parts of infrastructure to the OAM "sysadmin team"
OAM working Use Case
Disaster response; Haiti imagery processing for tracing in OpenStreetMap
Need Useful service needed to demonstrate OAM, and convince others to contribute. Minimum useful: NAIP and Landsat-7 (Lucien may be able to provide some pre-processed data)
OSSIM can do what we need for nearly automated imagery processing. Awesome. But issues...
- very difficult to build
- OMAR (grails based front-end) is badly designed and not in a popular language/framework
- geo-django supported by OAM community for a new front-end
Software development needed but no volunteer time visible. Needs funding, and fuller specification.
- design new user-friendly front end to OMAR in geodjango
- handles all administrative tasks automatically, to go from imagery to tile sets and browseable front end and machine readable catalog
- in sum, automation of Chris Schmidt's process from Haiti
Lower technical priority: Replication is a hard problem to think about later. Mosaic'ing. Temporal browsing.
- OpenGeo could possibly draw up a large scale proposal (500k+) File:OAM Prospectus.pdf
- Smaller scale proposal possible for 1-2 developers, 200-300 hour range, to go from proof of concept to first revision of admin tool.
- John Graham to configure new OAM hardware.
- OAM (?) to ask Radiant Blue for assistance in setting up OSSIM/OMAR on Telascience hardware
- OAM (?) to identify volunteers needed to load comprehensive data sets for proof of concept.
- OAM (?) to write up technical spec for first revision.
- OAM (John Crowley and others?) to write funding request.